Friday, July 17, 2009

Bad experience when Having a Dress made by a so-called Fashion Designer.

Have you ever had a dress made, but the result turned ugly ?? Huhuhhuhu……. Dat’s a bummer. If you’ve spent quite a lot of cash , spent a lot of time for the fittings, not to mention you got pretty annoyed everytime you went there for a fitting and the dress turned out to be unsatisfactory. Well, someone sent a story, Karen had 2 dresses (evening gowns) made in Jakarta and she was so upset with the result. Here goes : Hi SanggarSeni.com, I just want to share a bad experience I had when having a dress made. I wanted to have an evening gown made because I’ve searched the malls but couldn’t find anything I liked and I was wondering where I could find a designer. So I saw an ad in a magazine and her place happens to be near my house, which also happens to be her garage. Her name is M ( you wish it was M from james bond ;P) Anyway…. I called her up to ask if I could come by and looked at her designs/dresses. I got there, looked around and saw this gorgeous dress… It looked meticulously done… but I suspect it was someone else’s dress and M was asked to make a duplicate…. But I dunno…. So… after asking her some questions and chatting for a while, I decided to have a dress made there. M also said that the girl who does all the beading and rhinestones used to work for x (a famous fashion designer) and M guarantees the beading would be excellent… what ? so you hijacked an employee from x ? Anyhoo… the cost of making 1 dress was around 1.5 million Rp, but the fabric and rhinestones/beads not included in the price…. It takes around 3 weeks to do a dress. M also sketched a few designs but I didn’t like any of em, I found a dress I liked in a magazine and we started from there…. So in the end, I gave her a deposit of 1.5 million Rp. for 2 dresses. We even went to the fabric shop together to look for fabrics. Then I wait for her to call me for the first fitting. I decided to have 2 dresses made. 2 Weeks later, she called me and I went for my first fitting. First fitting : 1 dress was too big 1 dress was too tight what ???? Did you make the wrong pattern ??? then she asked me if I've gained weight !!! yea right, If I’ve gained weight, then both dresses should be too tight !!! I think I’ve lost count how many fittings I had. Each time there are new silly mistakes. In this one, M told the guy that sews for her to fix the skirt of my dress, it only took a while, so I waited there. And the dress was shortened up to my calf, it was supposed to be a full length evening gown !!! And they both went on a debate……… M even offered to buy me shoes to go with the dress !! what ??? even with flip flops the dress would still be too short. The dart was out of place, The model of the skirt was wrong. It was really bad…. Finally, because the party’s approaching and 1 dress is “done” (though not perfect) I paid for that dress and I paid half price for the other one that’s all wrong. I didn’t want any arguments, so I just paid around 2.6 million Rp for everything, but I left the all-wrong dress there, I only paid for her time and the fabric but there’s no way that I’m coming back for another crazy annoying fitting. I think M is a young mommy who’s got nothing to do and took a short fashion design course where she couldn’t even do a proper pattern, and looked for employees to do all the beadings and sewings, and she figured she’d advertised in a magazine and claim herself as a fasion designer… oh my. Anyway… once I got home that day I re-tried the fully paid dress And the inside weren’t sewn !! I didn’t check that when I was trying it on at her place. It was really a disaster. I finally brought the dress to my mom’s designer And she re-did the dress. So.. in the end…. The dress cost way out of budget I spend around 4.5 million Rupiah in total (that’s for 3 dresses, but I only got 1 dress) 4.5 mill is for the actual dress and for the all-wrong dress that I left at M’s place and for re-doing that first dress. That was the last time I went to a new self-proclaimed fashion designer, next time, If I found a dress that fit but cost a little bit out of my budget, I’m just gonna go for it. It was seriously time consuming and stressfull to go back and forth for fittings, and the more fittings you do, the worse the dress gets. Huhuhhu…. I felt really stupid…. Oh I’ll just let it go…. A friend of mine had a different story. Her old friend happens to be a fashion designer, fresh graduate. So she had a dress made, and it turned out excellent. But the second dress was really awful, the result was different from the agreed design and the beading was ugly…. She never used that dress. Anyway……… Just wanna share my not so lucky experience J Love, Karen

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails